Thursday, October 6, 2016

Don’t Give Up!

By:  Kimberly Swanson PsyM, LAPC, CNA

Have you ever had a period in your life where it seems like things are just not falling into place?  Or you may feel that nothing is connecting or going smoothly.  Well, that’s how I have been feeling lately. 

I did not get my article published in the science journal because I missed the deadline for submitting final edits.  I was very disappointed and felt discouraged about not having everything in done time. The professor and editor thought I had to a great concept and that I should continue to revise it with their feedback and re-submit it again for next year’s publication.   So I am going to try again next year.

What do you do when you are feeling frustrated and want to give up?  These are some of the things I do to stay focused and motivated:
  • ·         Analyze your situation
  • ·         Stay positive
  • ·         Remember your purpose

I find that sometimes when things are not going right, I need to sit down and analyze my situation.  Sometimes things don’t connect as it should because something is missing or perhaps you are not going in the wrong direction.  While analyzing my situation,  I began to notice some things about myself.  Some things were not connecting for me because I needed to make some major changes in my life, such as letting go of past mistakes.  I had to learn from them and learn how to move forward.

Another area that was lacking in my life, was my health.  I was constantly looking out for others and making sure everyone was ok.  But I failed to make sure that I was ok.  I am realizing now that I can’t handle family, school, and work if I am sick.  I know now that I have to take better care of myself in order to accomplish more things.  

No matter how bad your situation may be, you must stay positive.  I am seeing this now.  I try to stay positive even during the worst of times.  Being negative can be extremely draining.   Instead of having negative thoughts, replace them with good ones such as, “I am going to meet my goals with school today.”  Or “I am going to find that job that I have been looking for.  Positive thinking encourages you to keep on trying and not give up.

Another tip is to remember your purpose.  Sometimes I have to sit back and remind myself why I am pursuing my goals?  I  think about what a major difference my life would be for both my family and when I finish school and complete my education.  I see getting my education as a way of improving my life circumstance.  It is a stepping stone towards fulfilling my life purpose.  Envisioning and believing in myself is what inspires me to do better.

These are my tips for not giving up.  You must continue to believe in yourself and keep going.    No one is perfect,  but you can see each mistake as a learning experience towards greatness.

Revised 08/14/20 

Copyright in 2016 by ©Messenger Publishing, Inc.  Copyright and Revised in 2020 by Purpoz Counseling & Wellness Center, LLC.

Coming Soon:

Purpose Lies Within:  
A Motivational Book for the Heart & Soul

New video each week on my Youtube Channel:

Kimberly Purpoz's Social Media:

Twitter - Kimberly Purpoz

Instagram - Kimberly Purpoz

Facebook -  Kimberly Purpoz (or) 

Author Kimberly Purpoz



No comments:

Post a Comment