Monday, October 24, 2016

How I Juggle School With Being a Single Mom

As, a single parent, it comes with many trials and tribulations.  I am a single mom with three children. I have two boys and one girl.  And as a student and going down this road can be a difficult journey.  But with will power and perseverance, you can make your dreams come true.  I am currently pursuing my PhD in psychology.  Here are some things I do to try to make my life a lot simpler and they are:

·         Manage your time
·         Delegate your responsibilities
·         Avoid negative people/situations
·         Take some time out  for self

The first tip is to manage your time.  I feel that in order to be an effective student with added responsibilities that you must be a good manager of your time.  Often times it can be so easy to get off course and to go into a tangent.  I find that managing my time more wisely helps to avoid getting off task.  When I first start my day, I try to write a do list on my calendar of things I have to do.   It is also a good idea to write a schedule and start a daily routine for self.

Another tip is to delegate your responsibilities.  Being the sole provider can come at a price and that is having everyone depending on you for support.  But the question is where your support?  This is when you have to learn how to manage your household to the point where is ran efficiently.  For instance, I may assign some of the house chores for some for my older children, such as washing dishes and folding cloths, so I can have some time to work on my studies.

The third tip is to avoid negative people.  Negative people are anyone who creates nothing but drama and hardship into your life.   It is hard enough having to raise children alone but having extra burdens such an abusive partner, freeloaders, and leeches on your back can bring you down.  Negative people can be friend, partners, and even other family members.   If these negative individuals are not supportive of you, then you may need to see if they are worth being a part of your inner circle.  That is why it is important to surround yourself around positive people.

Next is to take time out for self.  When was the last time you just took a mental break or did some self-pampering? You can pamper yourself with simple things like taking a long warm bubble bath or getting your hair and nails done.  Every now and then it is good to just take some time out to clear your mind especially when you are feeling a lot of stress.  Sometimes I go and meditate to clear my head for a few minutes and this alone makes a world of difference.


These are some of the things that I do to help stay focused and motivated.  Being a single parent and going to college is not easy but it is not impossible.  Envisioning my bright future is what inspires me to keep on pursuing my dreams.  Just like I am doing it, so can you.

No comments:

Post a Comment